Traditionally, the houseboat was called Kettuvallam, which means a boat made by tying together pieces of wood. Unbelievable as it may sound, not a single nail is used in the making of a Kettuvallam. Jack wood planks are joined together with coir rope and then coated with black resin made from boiled cashew nut shells. The materials that go into the making are all local and Eco friendly bamboo poles, coconut fiber ropes, bamboo mats, coir carpets etc These traditional country boats were used as the mode of transport in the early times from the isolated interior villages to the towns.. But these boat services have been laid off with the developments taken place in the transport services in the recent past. Today these giant 80-foot long crafts have been adapted into luxuriously furnished houseboats.
A Kettuvallam usually has one or two bath attached rooms, an open lounge, deck, kitchenette and a crew comprising two oarsmen and a cook. Traditional lanterns are used as lights. Your holiday in this tranquil world is the comfortably furnished houseboats. Come, check into a houseboat for a memorable cruise along the backwaters of Kerala.
A cruise along the palm-fringed waterways of Kerala in a luxury houseboat is the most enchanting holiday experience in India today. In this world of simple pleasures, you will skim past ancient Chinese fishing nets, water lilies, lush paddy fields, coir villages, rustic homes, temples and coconut groves. A guided tour down the backwaters would provide you with a complete and most enchanting experience on the back waters of Kerala and will also reveal to you some interesting facts about the life of local village people. There is a Kerala that lives along these backwaters throbbing with its own unique culture .For you, as a visitor to Kerala it can be incredibly different experience just floating this backwaters in a country craft and absorbing unusual representation.
- Pick-up of guests from Airport (for extra cost)
- 2 Luxurious A/C Double rooms.
- Generator support for non-stop power supply.
- Attached eco-friendly modern toilets.
- Exclusive open deck for sun bathe.
- TV & Music facilities.
- Speed Boat assistance on emergency.
- Multi cuisine kitchen expert chef.
- Professionally trained English speaking crew.
- Every safety amenities onboard.
Terms & Conditions:
- Meal plan applied on APAI / full board basis (ie; inclusive of breakfast, lunch & dinner)
- The Menu is normally fixed. Any changes to be intimated in advance.
- Check in: 12 noon, Check out: 9 AM. One stay is for 21 hrs and not for 24 hrs.
- Beverages & any cook to order will be charged extra on actual.
- The boat will be anchored in the lake or canal during night & will not cruise after 17.30 hrs.
- Air conditioners in the bedroom will be switched on only from 9 PM to 6 AM. (For Deluxe Class, for Pri)
- Incase of A/C failure, Non A/C deluxe houseboat tariff will be charged.